Why can’t we feel the Earth spin?
● We don’t feel the Earth spin around because we are spinning along with it at the
● It’s the same sensation as when you’re riding in a car or flying in a plane – as
long as the ride is going smoothly.
● But if you close your eyes, you don’t feel like you’re moving at all.
● If the air hostess pours a drink into your cup, the liquid doesn’t zoom to the back
of the plane. That’s because the drink, cup, air hostess, and you are all moving at
the same speed as the plane.
● But as long as Earth spins steadily – and moves at a constant rate in orbit around
the sun – you as an earthly passenger move right along with it.