Why are chocolates packed in metallic foil?
● Chocolates are generally wrapped in aluminium foil instead of plastic or paper.
This is mainly to ensure that they avoid contact with air, moisture and light.
● Chocolates are often stored for long periods, so their wrappings are designed to
protect the contents it holds.
● The aluminium foil acts as a complete barrier to light and oxygen, odours and
flavours, moisture, and bacteria.
● When chocolate is exposed to moisture, it turns brittle or stale with time.
● Milk Chocolate, in particular, gets a white dusty coating if it is exposed to air.
● Aluminium foil has also another advantage in that it is very easy to use and can
be folded tightly to the chocolate surface.